Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kaleidoscope Quilt

Whew,  July has been a busy, busy month. 

I spent the first part of the month completing this quilt. 


I started with a layer cake a few weeks ago. 
I had been saving a Kate Spain Fandango 
layer cake to make a quilt for our family room. 
We don't have any quilts in our home that I've made,
 so as I headed into my summer work break 
I was anxious to decide upon a pattern and get sewing.



I have always been fascinated 
with kaleidoscope quilts and wanted to try one. 


Fandango seemed perfect.
The kaleidoscope has large enough pieces to
 really show off the beautiful prints of this fabric line. 
The dark brown really set off the prints and made the colors pop.


As I began sewing, 
I realized that this quilt was really meant to be 
my youngest daughter's quilt.


Quilting close up



Back Side & quilting

You can't really see from this photo, 
but the three green arrows point to  
writing written on the pink fabric serving as my label
 and message for my daughter.

close up of backside


Fandango, Kona Brown, kaleidoscope.....pure perfection to me. 
I believe this is probably my favorite 
quilt I've made to date. It's not only beautiful, 
but special to both my daughter and me. 

I love it! 



Samantha's Kaleidoscope
50.5 X 67.5
8.5" Kaleidoscope quilt block
Kate Spain's Fandango Line
Kona Brown
Warm and natural batting
July 2012

2 comments:

  1. I have a quick question for you!
    I am working out a quilting plan for my Kaleidoscope quilt and though we apparently used different patters, my shapes are a bit different, I'm curious about your quilting.

    In the up close picture I can see where you *escaped* the print blocks by going directly out them. That looks great, less thread tying off!. How did you get out of the brown sections? The same way? But I just can't see it in the picture? Or are they all individual? The quilting on back looks amazing, but I still can't figure it out, LOL!

    Thanks for your help!!

    loritfrench@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of brown! the quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete